Sunday, September 25, 2011

COMFORT FOOD

First day of 5th grade!
It might be the cold, rainy fall days, the start of school for my boys, or the fact that I just could use a little comforting these days, but I've been making some serious comfort food this week - mac and cheese, tomato soup, chicken fingers, pumpkin bread. And before you start worrying, I used heart-appropriate recipes or safe substitutions for these comfort faves and came up with a few winners I deem good enough to share with you.

Bundle up and enjoy!
Sounds weird, is good. Trust me. The sweet nuttiness of the squash combines with the salty, tangy cheeses to create a great approximation of cheddar Bechamel, but with only 6 grams of saturated fat for a really generous serving (vs. 36 grams for the real stuff). I've had other squash mac-and-cheese dishes and this one is the best one I've tasted so far.

First day of Pre-K!
RECIPE: PUMPKIN BREAD
Ooo this one is so good! It has a great, silky texture and is spicy and pumpkin-y and delicious. It is not sweet, so I served it with maple butter (to my brunch guests), though I loved it plain or, gulp, with my Smart Balance margarine (I really can't believe I'm saying that). Total fat per slice: 3.75 grams, 0.25 saturated.

RECIPE: ROASTED RED PEPPER AND TOMATO SOUP
The way your house smells when the veggies are roasting is the best part of this soup, but it tastes only slightly less amazing. Super easy and super healthy -- did you know tomatoes are a heart-health super food? If you use fat-free Greek yogurt you're looking at about 2 grams of fat per serving, 0 saturated.

RECIPE: CHICKEN FINGERS WITH RASPBERRY SAUCE
I bought this little American Heart Association kids cookbook because Owen likes to cook with me. We made the chicken fingers and I probably loved them more than either Owen or Noah did. I guess they are just one of those kid foods I never outgrew. But, Scott liked them too, so you can confidently embrace your inner child and enjoy, for only 3 grams (and 1 gram of saturated fat) per serving.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing all the yummy recipes - I'm excited to try them! I cut out the Cooking Light mac and cheese one as well, but haven't tried it yet. Glad to hear it's a good one!

    Ayme Z

    ReplyDelete