Thursday, December 22, 2011

HEALTHY HOLIDAY

If there's anything that puts the meaning of the holidays in to crystal-clear focus it is staring down your own mortality and winning, at least for the moment. So while I'm still shopping, wrapping, shopping, cooking, shopping, baking, shopping (why do I end up at Target every single day!), sending, shopping, and crafting, I'm really not stressing. And that surely is making my holidays a little healthier.

I'm also not making my grandmother's cranberry cake drenched in its luscious caramel sauce (made from boiling cream, butter, and sugar together), and I'm not eating half a dozen Spritz (1 pound butter, six egg yolks) per day. We're not having cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning breakfast, or scalloped potatoes at dinner, and I didn't embark on any crazy 12 Days of Cookies project like I did last year. But that doesn't mean I feel deprived. Not in the least.

Here's what I am planning for our Christmas weekend feasting - a greatest hits of my family's favorites.

RECIPE: GOODEST PANCAKES
So named by Owen years ago the first time I made them. He took one bite and looked up and said "these are the goodest pancakes ever!"  I can easily make these diet-approved without losing flavor.

RECIPE: BANANA MUFFINS
A modification of banana bread, using oil and Egg Beaters instead of butter and eggs. I've already made the batter, scooped it into muffin papers, and froze it. Christmas morning all that's needed is an extra 5 minutes in the oven and we have fresh, no-work muffins. These pass the heart-test, but that doesn't mean they are low-calorie. Or not completely worth every extra mile.

RECIPE: BEEF AND BROCCOLI
A light and delicious version of the Chinese take-out classic. The first time Scott had this he said "It's like I've been craving it my whole life and didn't know it." Try it and see if it is what's been missing from your life.

RECIPE: FISH TACOS
Assemble-your-own meals always mean everyone's happy and I'm heart-healthy. The fish is grilled or sauteed and I make the sauce with minced canned chipotles and Greek yogurt, with just a dollop of mayo (which, counter-intuitively, is fine for me to eat!).

RECIPE: PERFECT PESTO WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES
I'm bringing this to the pasta buffet we have planned at my in-laws for Christmas Eve. (And a heartfelt thanks to my family for planning something adaptable to me!) This sauce tastes fresh and light, and in the middle of days of Christmas indulgence sometimes that's just what you want.

RECIPE: ROAST CHICKEN WITH GARLIC
For Christmas Day dinner at our house I'm making a roast chicken, because I do want something traditional, but a turkey is way too big for our small group.

Along with it we're having mashed potatoes (if you use Yukon Golds and a potato ricer, you get the fluffiest, tastiest potatoes that do not need butter or cream), Dijon-braised Brussels sprouts from Smitten Kitchen, and glazed carrots a la Julia Child, which are not on the diet plan but Scott loves them so much I had to include. (I will just skip that dish.) Appetizers will feature Pumpkin Fondue and a creamy white bean dip instead of the usual Ranch or cream cheese offerings.

Food is such an important part of celebration for me, and I'm very excited to get cooking and sharing these meals with my family. But first, I have to go shopping. Again.

Merry Christmas everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen!

    Thanks so much for these (heart-smart) recipes. I hope you and your family enjoyed a wonderful Christmas weekend feasting (and that you're not suffering from post-Xmas Target withdrawal!)

    Also, I wanted to say THANKS for the great tip on freezing your banana muffin batter. SO much better than freezing the actual baked muffins, which never seem to taste as good when thawed later on, do they?

    Happy New Year to you!
    Cheers,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carolyn! I hope you enjoy the recipes.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete