Saturday, December 24, 2011

HOMEMADE HOLIDAY SNACKS

Why is it that during the holidays, when we are already eating special (and usually huge) meals, we have the urge to snack all day too? Cookies, mixes, nuts, and crackers are everywhere.

I'm planning a bingo party with my family when we gather next week, and I'm sure Monopoly, Apples to Apples, and Whist will make an appearance too. While the games are on, the snacks are always out.

Here's what I made for non-cookie snacks and treats this year - and all but one pass the heart-diet test.

Chex Mix. Yep, the recipe on the box. But, if you add one extra tbsp. Worchestershire sauce and cook it an extra 20 minutes, it will taste just like my Mom's. If you use margarine you can save your fat grams for dinner or dessert.
Owen loves these crackers. You can see the anticipation on his
face. (And this was 2 years ago, before the long hair!)

Cinnamon-Glazed Popcorn. A new treat for this year, courtesy of the 100 Days of Real Food blog. This is so delicious and if made with the right margarine and walnuts instead of cashews, it's even good for you.

Muddy Buddies, or as we called it when I was a kid, Puppy Chow. Make this for the kids you love, because if you are reading this blog, chances are you shouldn't be eating it. (I just taste-tested to be certain it was good, but so far I've been able to stay away, thanks to the aforementioned cinnamon popcorn.)

Ranch Oyster Crackers. This is my Grandma's recipe and I used to love eating them at her house. We only make these at Christmas, though there's nothing particularly holiday or wintry about them. It does make them more special if they appear just once a year.

My Grandma Eunie's Ranch Crackers

1 bag oyster crackers (the very small hexagon shaped kind, not the larger round ones)
1 package Ranch dressing mix, buttermilk recipe
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp. dill
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper

Combine mix, spices, and oil. Pour over crackers and stir to coat. Place in a warm oven (225 degrees) for about 20 minutes.

Happy grazing!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe for the ranch crackers...I was seriously craving them myself, and my mom didn't make them this year. I'll have to use Eunie's recipe and get busy! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG- all those carbs. Yikes. Read "Wheat Belly" and you will feel differently about the snacks you now choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment Sue. Yes, over-eating carbs has been one of my challenges since taking on the heart-healthy diet. Thankfully, these are once per year snacks, not a regular habit.

    ReplyDelete