Monday, January 2, 2012

JANUARY FOODIE FUN AND WEEK 1 MEAL PLAN

I'm so excited to be reprising Vegetarian Month this January. My family did this last January and I blogged about it at Fair-Weather Vegetarians. (A friend pointed out this is January in Minnesota, so it should have been titled Foul-Weather Vegetarians). The blog and project was fun, but it ended on February 1, when my boys (all three of them) requested a pound of bacon for breakfast.

My purpose then was just to try something new, get out of a cooking rut, and detox from the holidays. And while we did maintain the vegetarian diet all month, we weren't exactly eating healthy all the time (see Best Macaroni and Cheese and Spinach Quiche for exhibits A and B).

This year, vegetarian month takes on a new meaning and challenges. Vegetarianism (or veganism) is really the best way for me to eat heart-healthy. This year's challenge, though, will be not relying on cheese, eggs, or dairy to round out the menu or make it feel richer and more satisfying. (My boys are not exactly thrilled about this either - check out this video from last year!)

I'm also creating weekly meal plans and recipes and sharing them with my brother and his family, 200 miles away, who have signed on for this month's experiment. I can't wait to hear their reviews of the recipes, especially since they have four kids 7 and under! And of course, I plan to share the best we discover here.

Stay tuned for updates on my kind of mid-winter foodie fun. I can't wait to get started!

DOWNLOAD WEEK 1 MEAL PLAN

No comments:

Post a Comment